Sunday, April 18, 2021

Sesshin

We are not supposed to do internet or blog stuff ("journaling") during this intense period of study and practice nor wear strong perfumes, speak, or otherwise distract from our primary task. Which is? 

So what am I doing? Blogging, journaling, distracting as it were. Is that my task?

I've learned enough so far in this practice period, and remembered enough of my previous practice and how things sometimes went awry to -- I think -- make good use of this intense period of Sesshin to reinforce lessons learned and stay focused on what needs doing, reality vs illusion (hint: there's no not-illusion, no not-reality), and carry on.

I have a ton of text to study and restudy. There is a whole long list of neglected things to get done. There is a frequent schedule of zazen and liturgy practice. Because I'm not cloistered -- but of course am under travel and other restrictions because of the COVID -- I still have day-to-day household duties and chores that can't be set aside for Sesshin. And Ms. Ché is having some trouble with controlling her diabetes -- we don't know what's going on -- and has to be monitored closely for signs of either extremely low or extremely high blood sugar. 

In other words, I'll be adapting to the schedule of the Sesshin, and I'll be continuing most day-to-day requirements, and I'll be studying intently. 

One of the teachers used the metaphor (analogy?) of metamorphosis. We come out of the cocoon of Sesshin a different and arguably more beautiful being, no need to force it, it just happens on its own. 

Having been through the process a time or two, I'd say yes, but take care. I never did it in community before, nor did I have a Zen Master teacher to guide me. Even with them, there may be plenty of bumps o the road ahead. Take heed.

Future posts -- until the end of the Sesshin period -- may be very brief or there may be none at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment