Monday, September 5, 2022

The Hospital

I've been hospitalized since August 28 with a serious bone infection affecting my spine and hips. I've been essentially bedridden the entire time, although I can get up and out of bed for short periods with help. It's not so much getting up and about that's the problem as that my blood pressure plunges when I get up or do any exercise. Sometimes it's so low I practically pass out and would if I weren't able to lie down in bed promptly -- which so far, I've always been able to do.

I spent about a month at home attempting to wrangle with whatever was going on, but my condition kept worsening and it couldn't be accurately diagnosed without proper tests which could only be done at the hospital or ER. So finally I called an ambulance and made the 40 mile journey to the nearest ER where alarms started ringing right away. Something was wrong, bad wrong, and after the test results started coming in, they thought they knew what it was. An infection, possibly cancer, that would require extended treatment.

So, here I am, waiting for more tests scheduled for tomorrow, and eager to get out and be whole again. 

What a drag it is getting old.



2 comments:

  1. Hi, I've been reading all your posts since Occupy Oakland but am de-lurking to tell you I'm sorry to hear the news and to wish you a full, quick, and easy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's going to be a long road of rehab once I get out of here, but I know so many are so much worse off.

      Occupy Oakland? Man, that's a long time! Take care, be well, and stay alert to whatever comes your way. Every challenge is an opening.

      Delete