Sunday, May 27, 2012

Impressions of Assisi






I'm posting this article by Clarence Stratton of St. Louis, published in Art and Archaeology in April, 1917, made available by Google Books (one of my favorite destinations on the Web, in case you hadn't guessed.)

Stratton wrote a book published in 1921 called "Producing in Little Theaters" that was one of my sources for information on how to do theater back in the day. Of course, much more modern material was available and I used it, but one of the theaters where I applied my efforts was a "civic theater," a little theater, inspired by Eva Le Gallienne and others. Luckily there was a lot of archived material going back to the 1920's and '30's that gave me a much better picture of how this theater came to be and what kinds of artistic and production theories were at its root.

The Assisi piece that Stratton wrote for Art and Archaeology is really a treat, obviously highly dramatic, but true nonetheless, true in the dramatic sense. To me, dramatic truth is the strongest sort of truth we can experience.

The images of the pages may be too small to read. If so, just click and they will embiggen.








No comments:

Post a Comment