Tuesday, May 9, 2023

So. The Diagnosis Is In

 Advanced Stage 4 Prostate Cancer.

I probably had it when I was hospitalized last year in addition to a lumbar and disc infection, but nothing was done. It was barely mentioned as a Thing. I recall a biopsy was done to test for cancer cells in the bones of my hip. I recall that isolated cells were identified but none were specific for prostate cancer. Thus, the focus remained on clearing the infection -- ultimately successful -- and no action was deemed necessary to deal with cancer.

Now, apparently, it's too late. Oh, they can make me comfortable and that's good -- I guess. Well, the amounts of opioids I'm prescribed and taking are alarming. But on the other hand, I'm not opposed to going that route. There are treatments, but the more modest ones initially undertaken, basically just suppression of testosterone production, aren't doing it, so more radical chemotherapy is to start in two weeks, i think. If that doesn't work then radiation could begin soon after. I get confused about dates. There are so many things going on and moving parts. It's a whirlwind. MD Anderson.

I'm at home which I much prefer to hospital or acute care facilities. Depending on how things go, I'll stay here till the end. 

And that will be? Oh, "we don't know." Could be four or five years. Or more. Or less. But nope. One doesn't live forever.

How much of this do my handful of readers want to follow? Should I detail step-by-step what I'm going through or should I just let it go? There is a whole world out there and I am hardly the pivot around which the Universe revolves -- that's my cat Princess. 

It's a lot to process, and I've just barely started.



2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this news. I want to read what ever you want to write about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. As long as I'm able -- and I feel very able right now -- I'll continue posting. I'm sure there will be plenty more to say!

      Delete