Tuesday, May 23, 2023

The Rest of the Story of the First Chemo Treatment

 There really isn't a lot more to say. It went very smoothly. Lots of really nice people doing really good work with not that many patients in an outpatient nursing setting. Saw the oncologist briefly first thing. We went over my labs -- looking good for the most part with a pretty significant drop in testosterone levels, trending downward from a much lower level meaning the cancer isn't spreading as fast (can't) and I may start seeing improvements.

The infusion of Docetaxel (Taxotere) and Leuprolide (Lupron) took about 1 1/2hrs -- much shorter than the Rituxin infusions I used to get for RA. They sometimes took five hours and I had to repeat two infusions two weeks apart every six months. I receive these new infusions once every three weeks for the Taxotere, and once every three months (I think) for the Lupron which is delivered through an injector I wear on my arm.* I was apparently doing so well before the infusions that the dosage was cut by 10% and we are to monitor whether that is enough or not. If so, we continue at this dosage or a smaller one. If not it will be increased to 100% or more. Nice it's relatively easily adjustable like that. At the moment, several hours after the infusion, I can't say one way or another. We'll see.

Lunch at a friend's house was lovely, a Middle Eastern feast, part of which we got to bring home with us because we couldn't eat it all at our friend's place. Got a bone density test and chatted a bit -- commiserated -- with the technician whose son had committed suicide five months before. She was a sweet lady who is clearly devastated by the loss of her only child. He was 40.

Then we came home and are resting. A lot. Got a ramp to get up and down that step at home, but we found it also works well and is long enough to get up and down the two steps at our friend's house. This is good. Very good. 

We have no more appointments in town or on video until Friday, when I do a physical therapy appointment in the morning and a telemedicine appointment with the dietician in the afternoon. I'm working on gaining a bit of weight. I've stopped losing at 162 lbs, and my goal is between 165 and 175, though the dietician says I should shoot for 180. Weight gain isn't easy because of my very modest appetite but I got up well over 200 for a while when I came back home last summer from the hospital. So we'll see.

The point of the treatments are palliative. Keep me as comfortable as possible to the end, whenever that might be. I've become used to it, and I do not fear the possibility of a near term "end." We were discussing it at lunch. Our bodies are not ::ourselves::. They are containers and they come and go. In a Buddhist sense, ::ourselves:: may continue on indefinitely through reincarnation or some other process/nonprocess in which the being ::doesn't exist:: or permanently "exists." If I die, I'm passing from one state of "being" to another. That's all. And if I'm reasonably comfortable through the process, so much the better.

At first I might have worried a little bit that I'm becoming an opioid addict, but then I said to myself, "So what?" What is to fear? That I might OD? Yes. But so far, the dosages are very low, and the chance is also very low. If dosages increase, then I'd worry more, but the infusions are supposed to prevent that by providing long term cancer treatment that includes pain treatment. This is only the first one, so I can't tell very much, but I'm optimistic.

I've received the bill for the hospitalization. A little over $1600 which I might be able to cut in half once I apply for financial assistance. And I've received another shit - ton of literature about other kinds of assistance from the state and local agencies on aging, disability and caregiving. There is a lot to go through. And I'll get to it. Really. I will!

So, that's where it stands right now. I'm really very optimistic and grateful. Yes, it should have been caught earlier, but the earlier symptoms were of a lethal infection that had to be treated and by removing troublesome teeth, made very unlikely to return. That has so far been the case. The cancer was no doubt there at the time -- at least I don't doubt it -- but it was more important and difficult to treat the infection successfully. Now to treat the cancer -- compassionately. I'm grateful for that. I just wish it were easier on Ms. Ché. She insists she's doing "fine" but I see her struggling so much and my heart breaks. We've been putting bugs in lots of people's ears that she needs help, and I'm confident she'll get it before too long, but bless her heart in the mean time!

The next update will come when there is "news." Right now, to rest....

---------------------

* Not exactly. The Lupron is infused with the Docetaxel. The injector I'm wearing is delivering Neulasta. I don't know what it is or what it is supposed to do, but the injection is supposed to start in about 10 minutes and last for 45 minutes, whereupon the injector can be removed and properly disposed of. Neat.

It helps prevent infection by enabling the bone marrow to make more white blood cells.

No comments:

Post a Comment